- Develop a strong portfolio: Build a portfolio that showcases your unique style and abilities. This portfolio should include a variety of work that demonstrates your versatility and range as an artist. You can create your portfolio using a website or social media platforms like Instagram, Pinterest or Behance.
- Research the market: Do research on the licensing industry, including the trends, styles, and themes that are popular among manufacturers, publishers, and licensors. This will help you tailor your work to the needs of potential clients.
- Network and build relationships: Attend trade shows and conferences where licensing professionals gather. Build relationships with manufacturers, licensors, and agents who can help you get your work seen by potential clients.
- Understand licensing agreements: Learn about licensing agreements, including royalty rates, exclusivity, and other important terms. It’s important to know what you’re signing and what you’re entitled to as the artist.
- Be open to feedback and constructive criticism: Be open to feedback from potential clients and licensing professionals. Use their feedback to improve your work and tailor it to their needs.
- Protect your work: Register your work with the appropriate copyright office and use watermarks or other techniques to prevent unauthorized use.
- Stay focused and persistent: Success as a licensing artist often requires persistence and a willingness to keep creating and marketing your work even in the face of rejection or setbacks.
- Work with an art licensing agent: Hire an agent to help you promote and get works out and market your art and designs to potential licensees or manufacturers, they have all the industry contacts and have built a solid relationship with their clients. They can pitch your work to the right licensees who would love your work.
By following these steps and staying committed to your craft, you can increase your chances of becoming a successful licensing artist.
Want to learn more?
- Find out more
- Launch Pad + Accelerator Expressions of Interest
- Selling and Licensing Your Art & Designs Around the World with ArtSHINE.
We’re here to help you to take action just like we’ve helped thousands of other entrepreneurs, business owners, and creative professionals all around the globe.
Now is the time to let your passion SHINE.
Now is the time to Make Tomorrow Today!
To your success, Vinh Van Lam and Stuart Horrex Cofounders